Labelling someone an alcoholic - 82.2kg

I attended my second meeting last night and found it very difficult to say 'I'm an alcoholic' for many of the reasons already written about here. It is still not sitting quite right with me.

http://www.smartrecovery.org.uk/about/introducing-smart

I may look into this as an alternative/supplement. Unfortunately no meeting points near me so unlikely to be viable for me, but worth investigating their methods.

This pages specifically addresses a couple of key issues I have with the AA approach. One of the more significant ones is the use of labels.

I wrote yesterday that the NHS never uses the label 'alcoholic', there is a reason for that. I must try to find out more about what their stance is.

It goes against the grain for me in terms of behavioural change. Labels are not part of that scientific approach to behaviour change, which is much more focused on the things you say and do.

So, still uncomfortable about the AA approach with regards referring to myself as 'an alcoholic' but I think the whole process I'm going through right now to find the right tools, techniques and support is worth while. I have got a lot out of the meetings this week, will continue to go, but I need to make a longer term decision about whether it is right for me in the future.

My thought process at the moment is that being able to identify that I have the behaviours and issues which are generally referred to by AA as 'alcoholic' behaviour is enough for now.

As I work through this I will be looking to see how BMT based approaches can support me to change my behaviours for good. 

There is also no doubt in my mind at the moment that group therapy for this is a positive thing overall, being able to talk with other people with the same issue has helped, but I've not yet pinpointed exactly why. Having said that, I'm not sure I want to be spending alot of time with other alcoholics, it is pretty depressing at times, especially given the cross section of society where alcohol  issues are so common. I need to be able to identify with people and I find it hard sometimes to do this if I could not site across the coffee table comfortably.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting before race tomorrow - 82.5kg

Hill training - 81.4kg

BBC article on dieting