Results of 4 weeks of low sugar diet - 80.6kg

I've been off sugar now for about 4 weeks. My diet has mainly been based on a higher protein and higher fat intake and just cut out sugar and processed carbs as much as possible.

During that time I've been keeping up my regime of 100+ pressups every morning and then some light running or walking in the afternoon every few days.

My mood has been good once the first few days were done, I'm practising being more even tempered.

The weight loss, mainly fat has been quite dramatic, given such a simple change. I lost about 4.8kg over 4 weeks. Most of this appears to be fat looking at my Garmin scales data. My stomach in particular has flattened out and generally I'm looking more cut.






At the moment my vital statistics are:

Age 50
187cm height
88cm stomach
80.6kg
Blood sugar 5.5-5.9
Blood pressure 119/71
Resting Heart Rate 63

My diet in more detail:


  • No alcohol - been teetotal since October 2015. This is the biggest change to my health I've ever made. Probably the best thing I've ever done for my health both physically and mentally;
  • Drink mainly decaffeinated coffee and tea - this is mostly becuse caffiene makes me anxious. I love a milky frothy coffee. I dropped all sugar from my beverages;
  • I used to drink tonic water but cut that out recently due to its sugar content. Now drinking water or sparkling water;
  • I used to eat masses of milk chocolate. A typical day would include a Snickers duo and a toblerone. I reckon I was consuiming about 900 calories in chocolate each day. Cut this out and now have small amounts of dark chocolate. It is an acquired taste but I'm getting used to it, especially if I have it with a few nuts and raisins;
  • I used to enjoy lots of cakes, bread and biscuits. These are mostly gone although I do still eat a little bread;
  • I've always enjoyed bacon, egg so my diet has increased this. Plenty of eggs.
  • I've always enjoyed steak and chips with blue cheese sauce. I've adjusted this to drop the chips and add some vegetables;
  • Historically I was not good at eating my 5 veg and fruit a day. I've adjusted this to incorporate more fruit and veg. This is so still enable me to get some sugar. I'm now enjoying fruit and veg alot more;
  • Salads, with meat (chicken or steak) for lunch with a few olives is what I've been doing to replace the big steak sandwiches I used to have;
  • Breakfast is simple, a double protein shake, chocolate flavour. Or maybe bacon and eggs if I'm eating with a friend;
  • I've started to eat more seeds, nuts and dried fruit. Never used to do this but now use it as a snack instead of chocolate. It is not that helpful for losing weight but I'm in maintenance mode now so I'm okay with it;
  • I also will snack with a bit of cheese and olives;
  • I'm trying to avoid all ultra processed food, can't always do this due to family time meals but if I'm making the decisions I'll avoid.

I hit 50 recently and I set a goal to learn to like fish. Not doing very well on that yet. So far I've had 2 or 3 fish meals. Still dont like it. But I have 11 months to go with that.

My exercise in more detail:

  • I walk to work each day. An average day is about 15-20,000 steps. Some days much higher, some lower;
  • I run 2-3 times a week. This is not competitive running but running with a female friend so quite leisurely for me. I occasianally compete in fell running too but not as competitively as I used to;
  • Walk for pleasure once or twice a week;
  • 100 to 150 pressups a day. Sets of 20 or 25. Been doing this since start of March;
  • Occasional bicep curls.

My exercise, in particular, strength, needs to be improved. I don't like the gym though so what to do?

My mental health in more detail:

  • Based on Buddhist principles. I attend a Buddhist class once a month and done basic training;
  • Occasional meditation;
  • Lots of reading around happiness, wellbeing, stoicism over the last year or so;
  • Getting good reliable friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting before race tomorrow - 82.5kg

Hill training - 81.4kg

BBC article on dieting