So what has been going on? - 86.7kg

It is fair to say that I have been struggling with a few things recently.

Since Christmas I've been suffering from stress from the situation at work, and the increasing pressure of running out of cash due to contracts not happening when they should have. I'm pleased to say that from a business perspective at least, things are starting to go in the right direction again, with the award of a new contract, and other opportunities that have come in.

But the deterioration of the business which started in about May last year has taken its toll:

1. I stopped running an competing regularly, and I also stopped training with my running buddies. This started slowly with loss of motivation around the middle of last year, and ended with me not really competing much at all as the year progressed.

2. my weight started to go up, partly as a result of not exercising enough, partly as a result of eating too much because I was stressed (especially chocolate) and partly because I started to drink too much.

3. I started to drink more, and got to the point where I was drinking way too much

4. Sleepless nights and tiredness as a result. Lying awake at night worrying and wondering what to do

5. Feelings of anxiety and anger at work and at home, and very emotional about the littlest things. I get really wound up by noises at home anyway, but this just was starting to really get me down

6. Physical symptoms of stress including tight chestedness and recently weird headaches. I'll come onto that in a bit as that is a recent issue.

7. Loss of interest in all my hobbies, lack of interest in family life and generally feeling low.

A pretty bad picture I'm painting here. So what am I doing about it:

1. I went to the doctors to get some help. I realised that I had problems and needed to start sorting them out. I'll be starting a therapy course at some point I think to help with the mental issues resulting from stress and anger. I really need to get the dog barking issues sorted out.

2. Doctor also prescribed me with some drugs - but I've not taken any. Hopefully will not need to use them but if I ever do I know they are there.

3. Trying to quit drinking. so far I'm on day 6. I last had any beer on 25 May 2013. Sharon has been away all week so in a sence that is a challenge, but also might be easier. I'll see when she is back tomorrow.

4. I've tried the 5:2 diet this week. Had two fast days so far. the last one was yesterday.

5. Started to run again. I'm doing regular circuits of my standard runs all week. I'm well off my previous times but the point is I'm doing it again.

6. Other hobbies. I've been renovating Sharons MX5 which has kept me busy.

The results this week:

It has been an interesting week. I have not struggled with not drinking much at all. The only time I felt like it was an issue was when I found the beer in the garage as I was tidying it. Apart from that I've been in situations where normally I would have a beer and gone for the soft option.

The running has been harder, I've not improved any of my times I set at start of week, which I'm surprised by. This is probably because my body is physically tired and not got much energy for the run.

On Sunday I ran the Kerridge run in 50:21 about, and yesterday (a fast day) I did it in 50:34 or something. Other days have been run at about 54 minutes so not breaking any records.

But I have run about 24 miles since Sunday, the first time I've run that far in one week in a long time.

Diet wise I've eaten pretty well. The two fast days I felt pretty hungry, and only made things worse by running on them, but I have done it. I reckon I might have eaten slightly over 600 calories.

Weight wise, very interesting results. I've moved from 88.8kg on Sunday to 86.7kg today. That is 2.1kg in 5 days. So where has it gone? What has gone? Is it just water? Not sure because I've been making sure to stay well hydrated. My waist size has shrunk by about 1.5cm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting before race tomorrow - 82.5kg

Hill training - 81.4kg

BBC article on dieting