Busy few months - 79.2kg

What a long time since I last posted. Lots has been going on, lots of healthy behaviours developed and perhaps now time to take a view on what is happening.

Here are a few highlights:

Alcohol
The Rational Recovery Programme - 'Never drink again' works. I have not had any alcohol of any form since October 2015. That is nearly 7 months. I don't think about it any more (until last night). I am still 100% bought into never drinking again.

Last night I watched the Louis Theroux programme about drinking to oblivion:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-04-24/louis-theroux-drinking-to-oblivion-is-an-astonishing-look-at-alcohol-addiction

I had to stop it a few times to take a breath, it was difficult to watch and it reminded me just how fragile being sober is, even after a longer period of abstinence.

For me this time I am not ever looking for that 'period of abstinence' to end. It ended last time after 1 year when I thought I could drink again. This time I know that my abstinence is not a period, it is permanent.

Weight and diet
My weight has been pretty stable at between 77 and 79 for several months now. I have been tracking my body fat also and that is at around 11% which looks very healthy.

At the moment I'm eating whatever I want, I was using Whey protein shakes in the morning but that appears to have had an adverse affect on my skin so I have stopped that to see if it improves. I am still taking a SuperGreens supplement in the morning with orange juice.

I think if I were to set any new objectives for the next 6 months one of them will be to improve my general diet as I'm eating too much chocolate and sugar and not enough greens, fruit and vegetables.

Running and exercise
I have been doing lots of running of different types. This year is a marathon year and I completed the Manchester marathon in 3:26 which I am very proud of.

I have been running a lot with L which has presented some interesting and fun challenges. The running is a lot more enjoyable for sure.

I also joined the gym back in November. I'm trying to get benefit from it, but I am not very consistent. I think I am starting to see small changes as a result which is good.

I am playing squash with Tom, great when he is motivated to play, frustrating when he is not.

Sharon and I did a 3.5 hour Peter Kay Danceathon this weekend which was fab! Also getting out into Manchester with L to dance which is good. Shabba!

Cholesterol
My cholesterol levels went through the rook at my last tests in January and I was called back in. Probelm was with the test being a non-fasting one so I got a scare for nothing. Overall my levels are still high, but my triglyceride level is very low, lowest it has been for years.

I also read up on cholesterol and statins in a book by Malcolm Kendrick called the Great Cholesterol Con so I am no longer tracking this. Instead I am looking at stress.

Stress
Well it certainly seems that stress is better for the most part, although there is still the odd aspect of my life which causes concern and anxiety. I am for the most part working on being happy and just trying to accept that not everything I do is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resting before race tomorrow - 82.5kg

Hill training - 81.4kg

BBC article on dieting